Your oral health plays a major role in regards to your overall health. After all, our mouths are used for eating, communicating, and flashing our smiles. It is likewise significantly influenced by our daily habits. This means that we must develop and practice a proper oral care routine to maintain our health. This includes routine visits to your dentist here at Sedona Dental in Westminster, CO, Dr. Alex Acevedo, Dr. Jack Choi, and Dr. Alexander Park—read on to learn more.
What You Can Do to Create a Great Oral Hygiene Routine
There are plenty of ways to maintain your oral health—some of which you are most likely familiar with, including:
- Brushing your teeth the right way. Hold your toothbrush at an angle of 45 degrees. The bristles should point to the section where your teeth and gums meet, moving in a circular, back and forth motion. Brush for two minutes and make sure to include your tongue and the back and front of your teeth. This should be performed twice every day, in the morning and at nighttime.
- Use fluoridated products. Fluoride aids in preventing tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Floss every day. Keep in mind that this is just as vital as brushing your teeth. Flossing alone can stimulate your gums, lessen plaque, remove unwanted debris from hard-to-reach areas, and decrease inflammation.
- Refrain from eating sugary and acidic foods. Those kinds of foods could wear down and damage the enamel of your teeth and could likewise lead to tooth decay.
- Gargle with mouthwash. Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash can eliminate bacteria, re-mineralize your teeth, and reduce acidity in your mouth.
- Stay hydrated. By drinking water, leftover food particles from the meals you eat are also rinsed out. Additionally, it keeps your mouth moist, which reduces the buildup of tartar, lessens the risk of tooth decay and gum disease, and benefits your overall health and wellbeing.
- Do not use tobacco-containing products. Aside from the fact that it can stain your teeth, the use of these products can negatively impact your entire health.
When to Visit Your Dentist
The American Dental Association states that you meet with your dentist in Westminster, CO, for professional cleanings and checkups at least two times annually. This way, your dentist can immediately identify and spot any underlying oral health issues that you may have failed to notice and provide you with an appropriate treatment plan.
For More Tips to Keep Your Oral Health in Check, Call Us
Dial (303) 452-3982 to arrange an appointment with one of our dentists, Dr. Alex Acevedo, Dr. Jack Choi, or Dr. Alexander Park, here at Sedona Dental in Westminster, CO.